Beware Holiday Season Ambush
If that eery silence about H.R. 2640 (the Veteran Disarmament bill by Carolyn McCarthy) makes you uneasy, it should: the best time for our opponents to slip gun control through the legislative process is when it's quiet, and everyone's occupied by other business.
It's no coincidence that gun control often gains steam close to the Holiday season, when Americans are busy with filling that deer tag, going to Christmas plays, shopping and getting the basement room ready for Grandma.
Some good news:
- Sources at the Gun Rights Policy Conference reported that when NRA-ILA Federal Affair lobbyist Chuck Cunningham spoke, he was assaulted with questions about why the NRA was supporting McCarthy's bill. Immediately after that woodshedding, Wayne LaPierre canceled his speaking appearance at the event -- none of LaPierre's handlers wanted the "face of the NRA" to be caught on video defending their support of gun control.
Friends, that is encouraging: the NRA is feeling the heat on this issue, and if they back off of the bill, H.R. 2640's support on Capitol Hill will lose votes faster than Obama at a John Birch Society straw poll.
And though that is good news, we have bad news:
- Expert sources on the Hill are telling us that politicians took notice of the firestorm that struck their offices late this summer and early fall, but now believe the heat is off and are once again eyeing the passage of HR 2640.
- An NRA insider has told us that yet another deal is in the works between the NRA and Congressional offices, something designed to pass the bill while giving the NRA cover to continue their support.
This confirms what we know: there's a lot of deal-making happening in Washington on this issue, and it's very dangerous to our rights. These next few weeks -- until the end of 2007 -- are pivotal.
If history repeats itself (and it often does), this Holiday season is a likely spot for our rights to be ambushed.
What you can do:
1) Call Senators Mike Crapo and Jim Bunning and tell them to join Senator Coburn in opposition to H.R. 2640, the McCarthy/Leahy Gun Control Bill.
Call Senator Mike Crapo s office at (202) 224-6142. To e-mail senator Crapo go here: http://crapo.senate.gov/contact/email.
Call Senator Bunning's office at (202) 224-4343. To e-mail Senator Bunning go here: http://bunning.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm
2) Call or e-mail the NRA and tell them to stop schmoozing with Sarah Brady and Chuck Schummer and oppose H.R. 2640.
Call (800) 392-8683 or e-mail the NRA s federal lobbyist, Chuck Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org and Federal-Affairs@nrahq.org.
For NAGR s extensive analysis of H.R. 2640, go here: http://www.nationalgunrights.org/hr2640.shtml
National Association for Gun Rights
P.O. Box 7002
Fredericksburg, VA 22404
Phone: (888) 874-3006 Toll-Free
Fax: (202) 351-0578
Friday, November 16, 2007
Beware Holiday Season Ambush
Monday, November 12, 2007
(Forward below message to your family and friends)
I have just signed a national petition opposing the U.N. "Law of
the Sea" treaty that if ratified by the Senate would threaten our
nation's sovereignty. Additionally, it places the United States
under an international authority, subjects our nation to direct
taxation by the United Nations and could hamper our military.
A vote to ratify the treaty is expected before the end of the month.
This is a crucial issue that truly needs your immediate attention.
Please click below for more information:
+ + To sign Grassfire's petition opposing the "Law of the Sea"